A Quick Word:
After leaving the VA hospital, I stumbled across Damenzo's Pizza, a small italian restaurant on Taylor St but far away from "Little Italy." On first site, you wonder how this place survives with minimal traffic and the more popular, but less tasty Bacci's is across the street. Anyway, I decided to give it a try and I was welcomed by a hilarious staff that will send customers to the end of the line for breaking their "no cell phone rule." The pizza slices were definitely the popular menu item especially at $4/slice (including tax). These slices equivalent to most places two slices and the sausage has enough meat for an entire pizza. After trying the pizza, I immediately knew I had found my new favorite "pizza by the slice" joint. And I found myself back at the restaurant the very next day. If it wasn't for the lack of topping options and maybe a drink/pizza combo and its location, it may have gotten a perfect rating... but for now I would easily walk 4 miles for this pizza.
What We Ate:
Sausage Pizza (by the slice)
Damenzo's sausage slice has become my new favorite "pizza by the slice" in Chicago. Most places do not serve decent deep dish "pizza by the slice" so I tend to stick with thin crust (despite being obsessed with deep dish pizza). Anyway, the slice is huge. Depending on that day's pizza shape (irregular), your pizza will range from too big or even bigger. For $4.00 per slice, this massive thin crust based pizza is topped with a tangy tomato sauce, a generous amount of cheese, and excessive amounts of sausage (or what I liked to describe as mini meatballs). The sausage has a slight sweetness to it which is a great compliment to all the red hot pepper flakes I add. Anyway, this pizza is guaranteed to make you full!
Cheese Pizza (by the slice)
The cheese slice is another great option from Damenzo's. The cheese slice is made with the same ingredients listed above except for the sausage. The crust is simply amazing. It is cardboard-like but somehow more addicting than the other "pizza by slice" establishments. It is good hot or cold and has a perfect crunch but not too chewy. I am addicted so definitely check it out and let me know what you think. See the size of the pizza!
- Do order the pizza slices. I suggest not warming it up because then it gets oily. And the warmer they are kept under is good enough.
- The size of the slices varies depending on the shape of the pizza that day. If you see a slice you want, strategically allow others in front of you, or just order from the other pizza if that slice is bigger.
- They do take credit card and I don't believe there is a minimum. I always use a credit card for a slice or two.
- Tons of street parking outside.
- Definitely DO NOT talk on your cell phone if you are waiting in line to order. They have a very strict policy and you will be sent to the end of the line. People argue and those people don't get served.
How far would I walk for this food?